How we lowered our funding goal

One of the problems with our first Kickstarter – and there were a few, which we’ve talked about before – was our very, very lofty funding goal, especially for a first project from two unknown people.  So, as we were working our way towards relaunch, we knew that, if we wanted to be successful the second time around, we’d need to decrease our funding goal.

But, going from $18,000 to $6,000* is a lot. So how could it be that we need one-third the money to get a game out there?

Simple: we don’t. Or, to put it another way, we still would have needed to set our funding goal around $12,000 to cover all of the expenses, but we tapped into a few other resources that I’ll elaborate on below to make that money.

1. Cost-Saving Measures

To be sure, there are some ways that we cut costs. For one, we decided not to form an LLC prior to launch. To get the kind of advice we’d need ahead of time would be an expense that we decided we just don’t need to take – unless the game takes off like crazy and we’re going to do this as more than just a hobby. Unlikely, but we’re not ruling it out…

Also, we decreased the number of copies of the game that we’re planning to get printed if we eke out our funding. Before, we were looking at a 1,500 copy run. Now, our minimum is 250. That means it costs us more per copy – but it also means that we don’t have nearly as high a funding goal.

2. Getting Some Funds Ahead of Time

Another thing we’re doing differently this time around is getting all of the art – except for stretch-goal-related art – done prior to hitting the launch button. This means more money for us up front – but it also means that we have a much lower funding goal. And it isn’t as simple as subtraction. Let’s break it down in somewhat rounded numbers for ease of calculation…

The main level of our first campaign was $25 for a game. Between printing and shipping, each sold copy was going to cost us about $15. That leaves us with $10 “profit” on each sold copy to go to art costs, extra copies of the game, and so forth.  Let’s say that we were going to spend $1,500 on art; that means that we would have needed to sell 150 copies of the game to cover the cost of the art alone – and at $25 per copy, that means our funding goal needed to be $3,750 higher simply because of that. Again, I’ve rounded those numbers, but you get the idea.

So how the heck did we get the rest of the money? Easy: we sold stuff.

One of our levels that doesn’t appear this time around is the one that lets backers pay to have their likeness as a doctor on the main treatment cards in the game. Last time, it was largely our friends and family who were most interested in that – so we just asked them for that money ahead of time to cover the art, printing of prototype copies, and advertising money. It worked. We more than covered the art, and nearly covered our costs for printing 50 prototype copies to send to reviewers – and to give our friends who graciously helped us reduce our funding goal. And, for backers who are still interested in being on a treatment card, we’ll have five spaces available to be on the Kickstarter-exclusive Dual Treatments.

Lastly, we decided that we’re more willing to put some of our own money into the project.  So, after saving for a year, we’ve figured out just how much we can put of our own capital into reducing the price.  It didn’t have to be much, but as the math two paragraphs earlier showed, every little bit goes a long way!

So, there you have it! Hope that explains what we did – and maybe even helps some of you to reduce your funding goals ahead of time, too!

Look for the Kickstarter to be launched at 10 am on July 1st. If you want to check out a preview of the page – and even let us know what you think about it – you can check that out here. And, if you’re reading this after July 1st, that link will take you right to our page.

That’s all for now. Until next time, happy doctoring!

 

Update

We recently added another $1000 to our funding goal in order to be able to add one more level to our campaign – the GenCon Pickup option, where backers can get an early copy of the game – no stretch goals, no unlocked cards…just the game as it stood before we launched – at GenCon. In order to cover that printing, of course, we needed a little more money.

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “How we lowered our funding goal

  1. Getting the cash ahead of time for things like art is such a great idea. Especially because you don’t want to wait until the last second on that sort of thing. I’m going to continue to search for ways to lower my goal as well. Goes to show that a funding goal is not a static thing and it’s not a direct result of price from manufacturer.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s